Last spring, Student Government Association joined forces with Student Activities Board, Residence Hall Association, and Arkansas Tech Basketball to host WonderWeek 2010, a week of big entertainment and even bigger prizes.
Because hundreds of students participated last year and made WonderWeek a success, it is coming back for round two. WonderWeek 2011 will begin Monday, Jan. 31 and culminate Thursday, Feb. 3 after the Gold Rush 2011 basketball games.
Here is a list of WonderWeek 2011 events:
- “Big Money Bingo – Disco Style” will be held at 8 p.m. in Tucker Coliseum. SAB is hosting the event. Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. Big prizes will be given to bingo winners.
- Canvas Painting Competition judging will take place in the Doc Bryan Courtyard. The competition is hosted by SGA. Organizations must submit canvases before 5 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 28. Monetary prizes will be awarded to the top three canvases. Canvases are now available for pick-up in Student Services.
- “Don’t Forget the Lyrics” offers students a chance to show off their musical memory at 9 p.m. Doors will open at 8:30 p.m. and the event is co-sponsored by SGA and SAB. The location will be announced soon.
- “Let’s Can Hunger: Canned Food Sculpture Competition” is sponsored by SIFE and SGA. Student organizations can construct their own sculpture out of canned food items. Finished sculptures must be placed in Young Game Room by 5 p.m. on Tuesday. Judges will chose three top sculptures and those organizations will receive monetary prizes.
- “Let’s Make a Deal” will be hosted by SGA at 9 p.m. in the Doc Bryan Lecture Hall. Doors will open at 8:30 p.m. Numerous prizes and cash will be given out. Will you make a good deal?
- The “Gold Rush” basketball tailgating is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. at Tucker Coliseum. The event promises free food, games, t-shirts, and Arkansas Tech spirit for the Wonder Boys and Golden Suns. SGA, SAB, SIFE, RHA, and the Alumni Office are all hosting the event. Prizes will be awarded to the three most Tech spirited tailgating organizations. A pep rally will begin at 4:15 p.m. featuring Tech Spirit Squads, Pep Band, and the basketball coaches. SAB is hosting a “Scream for Green” competition for student organizations following the pep rally. The winning group receives a monetary prize.
Organizers say they want everyone to get excited about basketball and cheering on the Wonder Boys and Golden Suns. They are motivating students by choosing a Most Spirited Male and Female at each of the events Monday through Wednesday to participate in the half-time competition during the Gold Rush.
Up ‘til Dawn will be at each WonderWeek 2011 event to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. They plan on collecting change to support the children at St. Jude and show them that Arkansas Tech students care.
All student organizations, including residence hall governments, are eligible to participate in WonderWeek 2011. Battle of the Halls points will be awarded to Residence Halls that place in any of the competitions throughout the week.
For more information about WonderWeek 2011 contact Jake Smith, chairman of the planning committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.]]>