Nationally 16th-ranked Northeastern State University handed Arkansas Tech its first tennis loss in more than two weeks on Wednesday.
The RiverHawks (6-2) took 5-of-6 singles matches and 3-of-3 doubles matches to win 8-1 and snap the Golden Suns' four-match winning streak.
Arkansas Tech's lone win of the day came in the most exciting match of the day. Golden Suns junior Jessica James outlasted Northeastern State's Valerie McKinney 6-1, 4-6, 15-13 to earn a victory in the No. 6 singles match.
With their final non-conference match of the season behind them, the Golden Suns know turn their full attention toward qualifying for the Gulf South Conference Tennis Tournament for a third consecutive year.
Tech will conclude its 2010 regular season by hosting Harding at 2 p.m. on Thursday, April 8, and Henderson State at 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 10. Both matches will be played at the Chartwells Women's Sports Complex.
The Golden Suns are 9-4 overall and 3-1 in league play. If Tech finishes in the top four of the GSC West Division standings, it will head to the GSC Tournament in Montgomery, Ala., April 17-18.
NORTHEASTERN STATE 8, ARKANSAS TECH 1
1. Zuzanna Osinka (NSU) def. Michelle Yu (TECH) 6-0, 6-0
2. Emina Spirtovic (NSU) def. Saki Matsuoka (TECH) 6-4, 6-2
3. Michaela Romanova (NSU) def. Brittany Turner (TECH) 6-3, 6-0
4. Claire Chanay (NSU) def. Emorie Mallow (TECH) 6-3, 6-2
5. Karol Cichon (NSU) def. Laura Palomino (TECH) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jessica James (TECH) def. Valerie McKinney (NSU) 6-1, 4-6, 15-13
1. Osinka/Spirtovic (NSU) def. Turner/Matsuoka (TECH) 8-2
2. Chanay/Belejova (NSU) def. Mallow/Velasquez (TECH) 8-1
3. Cichon/Romanova (NSU) def. James/Greenway (TECH) 8-3