A change in debate style and format benefited the Arkansas Tech Forensics and Debate team during the fall 2011 semester.
Dr. Gabe Adkins, director of the Arkansas Tech Forensics and Debate team, enrolled his students in a pair of competitions that utilized the International Public Debate Association (IPDA) format.
IPDA is a style of debate that puts emphasis on public speaking and persuasion. Speed and evidence, hallmarks of other academic debate forms, are less important in IPDA.
Members of the Arkansas Tech Forensics and Debate team include: (photographed, front row, left-to-right) Sarah Plummer of Conway, Chantel Moseby of Hamburg, Ashley Andrews of Russellville, Annie George of Searcy, David Tuttle of Monroe, La., and Adkins; (back row, left-to-right) Seth Fendley of Hot Springs, Nathan Hale of Green Forest, Megan Brown of Dover, Hunter Rogers of Alma, Cody Hartmann of Atkins and Lisa Beth Harst of Hot Springs; (not photographed) Dr. Chris Duerringer, assistant director; Jessica Betterton of Alma, Cameron Foster of Mena and Kevin Krost of Russellville.
Arkansas Tech competed in two IPDA tournaments this fall --- the Golden Eagle Invitational at John Brown University and the Red River Swing at Louisiana State University-Shreveport.
Listed below are the students who won awards at those two events:
GOLDEN EAGLE INVITATIONAL
- Seth Fendley, 5th Place, Overall Speaker
- Nathan Hale, Quarterfinalist, Novice IPDA
- David Tuttle, Quarterfinalist, Novice IPDA
RED RIVER SWING
- Annie George, Top Novice Speaker, Individual IPDA
- Seth Fendley, Second Place Novice Speaker, Individual IPDA
- Hunter Rogers, Semifinalist, Individual IPDA
- Chantel Moseby, Semifinalist, Individual IPDA
- Seth Fendley and Lisa Beth Harst, Semifinalists, Team IPDA
- Ashley Andrews, Second Place Speaker, Team IPDA
- Lisa Beth Harst, Fourth Place Speaker, Team IPDA
- Ashley Andrews, Advanced to Double-Octofinals
- Sarah Plummer, Advanced to Double-Octofinals
- Annie George, Advanced to Double-Octofinals
For more information about the Arkansas Tech Forensics and Debate team, send e-mail to Adkins at firstname.lastname@example.org.]]>