The Arkansas Tech University Department of Music will host a concert entitled “St. Patty’s Day Swing” featuring the jazz ensembles from Russellville Junior High School, Russellville High School and Arkansas Tech University on Tuesday, March 14.
The performance will begin at 7:30 p.m. in Witherspoon Auditorium, which is located at 407 West Q Street in Russellville. Admission will be free and open to the public.
The RJHS Jazz Band will perform the following selections:
- “Chattanooga Choo Choo” by Mike Story
- “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” by Michael Sweeney
- “Secret Agent Man” by Mike Story
Numbers on the program for the RHS Jazz Band include:
- “Swing Fever” arranged by Dean Sorenson and Bruce Pearson
- “Moon River” arranged by Billy Byers
- “Buckjump” arranged by John Wasson
The ATU Jazz Ensemble will offer these tunes:
- “Groove Merchant” by Thad Jones
- “Samba del Gringo” by Gordon Goodwin
- “Birdland” by Joe Zawinul
At the end of the evening, there will be a performance of “Blues for a New Day” by a combined ensemble from RJHS, RHS and ATU.
Scott Johnson serves as director for the RJHS Jazz Band. David Gaston directs the RHS Jazz Band. Dr. Sean Reed, assistant professor of music, leads the ATU Jazz Ensemble.