VUB Boot Camp June 2 at ATU in Russellville

Veterans Upward Bound at Arkansas Tech University will host a free event designed to introduce prospective and current students to the services it offers on Saturday, June 2.

The ATU Veterans Upward Bound Boot Camp will take place from 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. in room 242 of the Doc Bryan Student Services Center, 1605 Coliseum Drive in Russellville. A complimentary continental breakfast and lunch will be included.

Workshops during the boot camp will focus on math and English skills, student financial aid, financial literacy and budgeting, Veterans Affairs benefits, academic advising, the college application process and making the military to college transition.

Registration for the event is open at https://vubbootcamp.eventbrite.com.

ATU Veterans Upward Bound serves veterans and service members who live or drill in a region that includes the counties of Conway, Crawford, Faulkner, Franklin, Johnson, Logan, Perry, Pope, Sebastian and Yell as well as individuals considering beginning school at an institution in one of those counties.

The program is funded by a federal grant and is part of the TRIO umbrella of educational access initiatives.

According to the U.S. Department of Education website, Veterans Upward Bound is designed to “motivate and assist veterans in the development of academic and other requisite skills necessary for acceptance and success in a program of postsecondary education.”

Individuals wishing to learn more about the Veterans Upward Bound program at ATU may send e-mail to vub@atu.edu or visit www.atu.edu/vub.

ASBTDC Helps New Welding Business Open

Robi Schreckhise of Lamar is a proud new business owner.

Welderbeast Mobile Welding and Repair, a business name that reflects his time spent working on the Alyeska Trans-Alaska Pipeline, opened in February.

Shortly after graduating from Lamar High School, Schreckhise moved to North Pole, Alaska, to start his career. As a member of the Plumbers and Pipefitters Union, he completed a five-year apprenticeship that consisted of thousands of hours of classroom education and field training.

Through his training and experience, Schreckhise now holds multiple certifications and is a journeyman pipefitter/welder with more than eight years and 16,000 hours of experience in his field.

After moving his family to his hometown, Schreckhise continued to travel to Alaska to work for eight weeks at a time, having only two weeks off between work rotations. It was during this time that he started searching for a way to be home more with his family and connected with the Arkansas Small Business and Technology Development Center (ASBTDC) regional office at Arkansas Tech University in Russellville.

“The most helpful service the ASBTDC offered me was just the simple assurance that someone had my back,” said Schreckhise. “I would have been too scared to just jump out on my own without knowing how things were going to go with my family’s livelihood at stake. The ASBTDC gave me the information I needed as the questions came to me and reassured me every step of the way.

“At the beginning of this year, I decided to strike out on my own and make a way for myself to do the work I am trained and love to do AND to be home with my family,” continued Schreckhise. “I started Welderbeast because there were no job opportunities as an employee that I was happy to settle with that included my skill set in this area, so I created one by becoming a business owner.”

Learn more about Welderbeast at https://welderbeast.com, by calling (479) 225-9431 or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Beastwelding.

ASBTDC at ATU Announces June 2018 Events

The Arkansas Small Business and Technology Development Center regional office at Arkansas Tech University has announced training opportunities during June 2018.

The ATU ASBTDC regional office is designed to assist new, existing, and expanding businesses by offering a variety of services including free one-to-one confidential consulting, free market research and low cost or free training.

For more information go to www.atu.edu/asbtdc or call (479) 356-2067.

QuickBooks Desktop Payroll | Thursday, June 14

The Arkansas Tech Small Business and Technology Development Center presents “QuickBooks Desktop Payroll” from 9 a.m.-noon on Thursday, June 14, at Arkansas Tech University in Russellville. This hands-on workshop is designed for QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise users to learn to use the payroll features in the desktop version of QuickBooks accounting software. Topics include tracking employee time, issuing paychecks, paying liabilities, and producing required payroll reports. A computer is provided during this interactive session. Cost is $65 to attend. Seating is limited with registration required no later than June 13 at (479) 356-2067 or http://asbtdc.org/training/russellville-events.

QuickBooks Online Payroll | Thursday, June 14

The Arkansas Tech Small Business and Technology Development Center presents “QuickBooks Online Payroll” from 1-4 p.m. on Thursday, June 14, at Arkansas Tech University in Russellville. This hands-on workshop is designed for those using the cloud-based version of QuickBooks (Simple Start, Essentials or Online Plus) to learn to use the payroll features in this online accounting platform. Topics include tracking employee time, issuing paychecks, paying liabilities, and producing required payroll reports. A computer with internet access is provided during this interactive session. Cost is $65 to attend. Seating is limited with registration required no later than June 13 at (479) 356-2067 or http://asbtdc.org/training/russellville-events.

Tax Reform and Your Business | Wednesday, June 20

The ASBTDC at Arkansas Tech University presents “Tax Reform and Your Business” from 9-11 a.m. on Wednesday, June 20, at the Russellville Area Chamber of Commerce. With the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act approved by Congress Dec. 22, 2017, came the biggest changes to tax law since 1986. Josh Masters, CPA with Beall Barclay & Company, will break these changes down to help business owners and their employees understand the impact of this legislation. A question and answer session is included. Cost to attend is $30. Seating is limited with registration required no later than June 19 at (479) 356-2067 or http://asbtdc.org/training/russellville-events.

Free webinars for small businesses are now offered on a wide range of topics. The live sessions are led by ASBTDC staff and subject matter experts. Go to asbtdc.org/training/webinars for a list of seminars and registration information.

The Arkansas Small Business and Technology Development Center regional office at Arkansas Tech is funded in part through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration through a partnership with the University of Arkansas at Little Rock and the Arkansas Tech University College of Business.

All ASBTDC programs are extended to the public on a nondiscriminatory basis. Reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities and individuals with limited English proficiency (LEP) will be made if requested at least two weeks in advance. Contact Ronda Hawkins at (479) 356-2067.

Jerry’s Juniors Preview Day Set for June 1

High school students who will be juniors during the 2018-19 academic year are invited to attend the Jerry’s Juniors Arkansas Tech University preview day on Friday, June 1.

Attendees and their parents will learn more about admissions, scholarships and financial aid at ATU. The day will also include a free ACT test preparation workshop, complimentary lunch in Chambers Cafeteria, campus tour, free T-shirt and photo opportunity with Jerry the Bulldog, ATU campus ambassador.

Advance registration is required and may be completed online at www.atu.edu/admissions/jerrysjuniors.php. Registration closes on Friday, May 25.

For more information, call (479) 968-0343 or (800) 582-6953.

ATU Continues Partnership With Consulate

The Consulate of Mexico in Little Rock and the Arkansas Tech University Foundation signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on Wednesday, May 16, that will result in $90,000 in scholarship funding for Arkansas Tech University students of Mexican origin in 2018.

Under the terms of the MOU, the Consulate of Mexico in Little Rock will provide $30,000 and private donors will provide $60,000 through the ATU Foundation. The MOU was signed by Rodolfo Quilantán, counsel of Mexico, and Mike Hutchison, vice president for advancement at Arkansas Tech.

“Arkansas Tech University extends its sincere appreciation to the Consulate of Mexico in Little Rock for its continued partnership in providing scholarship opportunities for our students,” said Dr. Robin E. Bowen, president of Arkansas Tech. “These funds are incredibly important in helping us recruit, retain and graduate a diverse student body equipped with the skills necessary to build a stronger state, nation and world.”

This is the fourth consecutive year in which the Consulate of Mexico in Little Rock and Arkansas Tech have worked together on the IME Becas Fellowship scholarship. The program was created by Mexico in 2005 to contribute to the education and improvement of individuals of Mexican origin living in the United States.

IME Becas Fellowship scholarships are awarded competitively based on academic achievement and financial need. Applicants for the fellowship must be Mexican or of Mexican origin to qualify, and they must not be eligible for any other type of scholarship funds or financial aid.

The number of Hispanic students at Arkansas Tech has increased by 281 percent since 2008. There were 873 Hispanic students enrolled at Tech for the fall 2017 semester. In all, 23.8 percent of Arkansas Tech students are from minority groups.

Photographed (from left): Mike Hutchison, vice president for advancement at Arkansas Tech; Dr. Robin E. Bowen, president of Arkansas Tech; and Rodolfo Quilantán, head of post for the Consulate of Mexico in Little Rock.