Register Now to Attend Time Out for Tech

Friday, Jan. 13, is the deadline for high school seniors to register for the 2017 edition of Time Out for Tech, the annual Arkansas Tech University preview day that provides prospective Arkansas Tech students with an opportunity to learn more about the academic programs, student housing options and campus life opportunities available on the Russellville campus.

Time Out for Tech 2017 will be hosted by the Arkansas Tech Office of Admissions on Thursday, Jan. 26. The event is open to all high school seniors and their families.

Pre-registration is required for high school seniors planning to attend Time Out for Tech. Registration is available online at http://www.atu.edu/admissions/timeout2017.htm.

Time Out for Tech check-in and a registered student organization fair will start at 8:30 a.m. at Tucker Coliseum, followed by the opening session beginning at 9:30 a.m.

There will be a drawing during the opening session for three tuition scholarships to Arkansas Tech for the fall 2017 semester. In order to win, individuals must be high school seniors and present.

Following the opening session, high school seniors and their families will have an opportunity to meet with faculty from the academic program that interests them the most.

Time Out for Tech will also offer residence hall tours, a chance to meet with representatives from student organization and sessions with staff members from such campus entities as financial aid, athletics and Greek life. All Time Out for Tech participants will receive a free T-shirt and a photo opportunity with campus ambassador Jerry the Bulldog.

For more information about Time Out for Tech or about applying to become a student at Arkansas Tech University, call (800) 582-6953 or (479) 968-0343.

Arkansas Tech Plans MLK Day 2017 Events

Arkansas Tech University will celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2017 with a campus-wide march and community service project on Monday, Jan. 16.

The event will begin at 5 p.m. with a march from Hindsman Tower to the W.O. Young Building. At the conclusion of the march, volunteers will gather in the Young Ballroom to participate in the second annual The Pack Shack event at Arkansas Tech.

According to its website, The Pack Shack is a non-profit organization headquartered in Rogers that seeks to “supply provisions and opportunities for our neighbors in need.” The organization was co-founded by Arkansas Tech alumnus Jarod Ring.

The inaugural Pack Shack event at Arkansas Tech in 2016 packed 37,152 meals to assist individuals and families facing food insecurity. The goal for the 2017 event is to pack 40,000 meals, all of which will be distributed to those in need through service organizations in Russellville.

Students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the university are invited to volunteer at the food packing event. All necessary supplies will be provided to volunteers.

Members of the Arkansas Tech community are invited to two additional events in celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy.

There will be a gallery walk from 10 a.m.-7 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 18, in the Chambers Cafeteria tabling area. The gallery will include artistic pieces that reflect the civil rights movement.

In addition, the monthly Tech Talks open forum will take place from 12:30-1:30 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 19, in Baswell Techionery. Tech Talks is a safe space that allows for the sharing of thoughts, beliefs, questions and comments regarding the topic of the day.

For more information about the Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2017 events at Arkansas Tech, call (479) 880-4358 or send e-mail to diversity@atu.edu.

View Graduation Photos and Videos

Arkansas Tech University awarded nearly 700 degrees during Commencement ceremonies at Tucker Coliseum over the weekend.

Students earning degrees were recognized during one of three ceremonies.

Prior to each ceremony, students were also able to pay tribute to those who helped them succeed.

2016 Fall Graduation: Master's Ceremony | 12/16/16

2016 Fall Graduation: 10am Ceremony | 12/17/16

2016 Fall Graduation: 2pm Ceremony | 12/17/16

Love of Tech Brings McCrary Back for Degree

Lindsey Ahrens McCrary’s educational goals ultimately led her to pharmacy school at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock, but she always remembered that Russellville and Arkansas Tech University were where her story began.

So on Saturday, Dec. 17, she was back at John E. Tucker Coliseum in Russellville to participate in fall commencement ceremonies and receive her Bachelor of Science degree from Tech on the same day she became a Doctor of Pharmacy through UAMS.

Hers was among approximately 700 degrees conferred by Arkansas Tech upon graduates at the conclusion of the fall 2016 semester.

“I met my husband (Michael) right outside of the Ross Pendergraft Library, I was crowned Miss Arkansas Tech on the Witherspoon Auditorium stage and I learned what I was truly made of in McEver Hall,” said McCrary. “As I set foot on the ATU campus, I can’t help but feel such nostalgia and to feel right where I belong. To come back and walk across that stage to receive my diploma is to see a beautiful adventure come full circle.”

McCrary completed three years in the pre-professional pharmacy track at Tech before moving on to UAMS. As her graduation from pharmacy school drew near, she worked with faculty members in the Arkansas Tech College of Natural and Health Sciences to take the steps necessary to complete a degree audit and become a Tech graduate.

“From the life-long friendships that were formed to the education that I received, I can’t describe my experience (at Tech) as anything less than amazing,” said McCrary. “I was given multiple opportunities to be involved on campus, each of which helped shape and mold me into the person I am today. My experience at ATU is unforgettable and one that I will always hold dear to my heart.”

She points to the mentorship she received from Arkansas Tech faculty as one of the main factors in her success at pharmacy school.

“The professors (at Tech) are 100 percent dedicated to their students’ education,” said McCrary. “It’s because of several of them that I am where I am today. I was pushed and challenged to learn more than I ever thought possible. From working as a teaching assistant to doing undergraduate research, or even being involved in a pre-professional club, the opportunities that are offered through (the Arkansas Tech College of Natural and Health Sciences) are endless in helping prepare you for professional school.”

McCrary was so prepared that she was able to balance multiple life changes alongside her successful completion of pharmacy school. In addition to marrying Michael and moving to Malvern, she also became a mother when they welcomed Owen to the family in August 2014.

“Owen has brought so much joy to our lives, and he, along with his dad, have been my driving forces to cross the finish line,” said McCrary. “I also can’t say enough how much I appreciate my parents, Dwane and Anita Ahrens. They have always offered me unfailing love and support. The balance of life with pharmacy school wasn’t always easy, but it most certainly was worth it.”

With her Arkansas Tech University and UAMS degrees in hand, McCrary is prepared to pay forward the opportunities she has received.

“My biggest goal is to impact the lives of others through my career,” said McCrary. “I want to give back to the community what has been sewn into me. Pharmacists have a unique opportunity to help others as one of the most accessible health care professionals. All it takes is one moment of sincerity and kindness to change the course of someone’s day.”

Students Design for Change Finalists Named

Five teams of high school students have been selected as finalists in the inaugural Students Design for Change program at Arkansas Tech University.

The finalists include four teams from Arkadelphia High School and one team from Little Rock Central High School. A total of 29 teams submitted project designs during the initial stage of the competition.

Students Design for Change is a challenge that encourages high school students from around Arkansas to explore issues of homelessness and poverty in the state and design and construct a small cabin intended to provide short-term shelter for a person who is homeless.

Each of the five finalist teams will receive up to $1,000 to fund construction of their short-term homeless cabins. The final products will be displayed at Arkansas Tech in Russellville during a symposium on April 7, 2017.

The project is led by four Arkansas Tech faculty members: Dr. Carl Greco, professor of electrical engineering; Dr. Julie Mikles-Schluterman, associate professor of sociology; Megan Toland, assistant professor of journalism; and Dr. Jessica Young, assistant professor of physics.

Arkansas Tech students Taylor Bleakley of Russellville, Sarah Bubniak of Farmington and Cody Butler of England are assisting in the administration of the program.

Students Design for Change is made possible through an interdisciplinary grant from Arkansas Tech and a community grant from the Walmart Foundation.